Sunday, August 25, 2013

People Change?

A few days ago, I found myself in a place that reminded me of another time in my life with another person.  Thinking about that day back then brought about some sentimental feelings.

I still speak w/ the other person (on occasion) and felt compelled to drop a line to "person" and let "person" know where I was and what I was thinking.  

"Person" didn't seem terribly phased, which, admittedly, bothered me.  I said something to the extent that maybe I was "wrong" for thinking about that moment back then.  After all, I was with my spouse and children.  "Person" said "You'd be crazy not to think if it.  It was a brilliant night".  Then, "Person" added "We were different people back then" and clarified "we made different decisions back then".  

Different people?!  Do people TRULY change?

We age.  We learn.  We learn from our experiences that certainly can impact future life choices, etc, but, from MY standpoint, I'm STILL the same person I was back then. 

If I weren't (the same person), would I have felt the sentiments of being in that same spot?  No.  I may have remembered it, but I'm pretty sure the feelings wouldn't have accompanied the recollection.
Now, due to my marital status, would I repeat the past given the chance?  Of course not, but that's not because I've changed (who I am), but because I've CHANGED my marital status.  It doesn't take away from my happy memories or the good times I've had pre-marriage.  

I am STILL ME. 

I don't get it.  But that is another post in the very near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment