Thursday, August 1, 2013

Don't STUFF your Children, PLEASE!

While spending a few days with my in-laws (sister and bro) and their 3yo son, I'm in awe at some people's parenting.  I'm no expert, but COMMON SENSE is a good thing and I don't think my in-laws have much of it in this arena.

Firstly, they really try and FORCE their child to eat.  

SERIOUSLY?! 

I mean, when it's obvious the child is done and doesn't want anymore, up jumps mom or dad to hold the food to his mouth like a baby trying rice cereal for the first time.  It's not like its broccoli or some healthy vegetable they are convincing him to eat, it's a cheeseburger...or a taco... or some other unnecessary food type.  

I want so badly to scream out "THAT LEADS TO CHILDHOOD OBESITY!!!", but she's not my sister.  If she were, I'd not hold back.  Yes, kids may not eat when they ARE hungry, but at that point, box it up (if at a restaurant) and take it home. They will learn to eat when it's time, but for the love of GOD, don't force it down their throats!!

Naps.  He's 3.  He's not 6 mos.  I was lucky to get ONE nap out of my kids at that age, but these people expect at LEAST two of this child.  When he was 1.5, I remember he'd get up at like 7a, but they had him down for a nap by 9. 

NINE?!  TWO hours later?  Oh yes.  And he was back down AGAIN by 1 and in bed for the night by like 6p.  

Anyway, at three, they try and get two out of him.   He fell asleep early one day for an hour, but 2 hours later, they put him down to sleep again.  Gee.  I can't EVEN imagine why he didn't sleep for that one. 

Clothing.

At 75 degrees, my two were swimming in the lake.  Theirs?  Outside with a hooded jacket zipped.  

They don't let him walk off the dock by himself...they pick him up and CARRY him off.  

Overprotective.  AND their lives revolve around the child in SO many ways.  

It's just bizarre.  But we're also talking about a dad who trolls on the lake with a BOBBER AND SINKER at the end of his pole (with a spinner attached).  

Yea.  Not kidding.

Maybe I am just not protective enough?! 



No comments:

Post a Comment