I've been following a story via social media and various forums about a school district in Michigan. Specifically, DeWitt School District in DeWitt, MI. One of the parents has been discussing a situation they are currently in and it just blows my mind.
They have a child whom I will call Joey because I truly don't know the kid's name. Joey is in third grade in this district and apparently, became friends with another kid whom I will call Johnny for the same reasons. It appears Johnny has issues of his own as this kid is two years older than his peers in the same grade. He is at 5th grade by age, but currently is enrolled in third. Obviously, there are issues there from the get-go. I don't know what those issues are. I don't know if the parent has mentioned the issue. Anyway, Joey and Johnny were friends in last year's school year, but it looks like there was some trouble that started back then but it was resolved immediately by the teacher. Give that teacher an award as you don't see many step up like that. Schools, in general, just don't want to get involved.
It looks like Joey had many, many concerns since the beginning of the school year where Johnny was concerned. Joey would go home and express distress about how this Johnny kid wasn't his friend anymore and how he was mean to him and whatever else issue there was. Parents had contacted Joey's teacher on more than one instance about these issues. On each occasion, the teacher came back and explained there was no problem with these children and that they were actually friends. But, Joey still came home upset each day and on and on it went.
Here is where this story gets REALLY interesting.
Last week, there was a week-long field trip for this class. The distress after each day from Joey didn't stop. Here is what his mother said online:
"I went to the museum to drop money off for my son for the gift shop because he had forgotten it in the morning. When I got there, I found my son and standing right next to him was Johnny. Naturally, I was concerned so I told Johnny it wasn't nice when kids are not nice to other kids. Clearly, Johnny's guilt went right to his head. It wasn't even an hour after school got out and Ms Principal called me ripping me a new ass because I said "don't bully Joey. I don't like bullies" She continued to school me how I am not permitted to say anything to any child or I would not be able to chaperone. This is where I went full BITCH MODE. I told Ms.Fact Finding Principal that I was NOT a chaperone, that I was there on my OWN time, and that I was NOT on school property so now what did she have? The silence on her end was quite amusing. Owned. Are all school personnel equally ignorant?! Then she had the largest hairy balls of brass to say to me 'well, you wouldn't want another parent to say something to Joey' to which I went into YELLING mode 'NO..I would HOPE another adult would intervene on my behalf and GOD HELP JOEY when he got his little ass home!'. But perhaps, what is most mind blowing is the fact that Johnny's parents were MORE concerned about the fact I said something to their kid than what the kid may have done to PROMPT it! I mean, just WOW. No wonder our society is fucked up nowadays"
Yes, re-read that. Not only did this principal fail to get her facts straight before making accusations, but she has started dictating when and when NOT a parent can intervene on their child's behalf. UNFUCKING REAL. They didn't prevent the problem when the parents expressed concern previously and it escalated. Now they are pissed off when the parent took care of the problem on her own time and off school property. More on this story as it is posted. This will be interesting to see how it resolves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment